Sunday, July 29, 2007

0 Want to Comment?

newspapers


This is an article for Harry's column in SCOOP, USA that I just wrote, reflecting on how much I like reading the newspapers (especially the wacky stuff in other countries!) I really do think the more understanding we have of other people, the less likely we are to invade their nations and kill them. Or make up ridiculous fantasies about them and deny them their equal rights. Sooo, I'm hopping off my soapbox as I type this. Let me know: Was I too heavy-handed? Intense? Not heavy enough? Stick to writing about nasty art gallery owners? I send you all love and my thanks for not telling me to stuff these articles. Love, Jaynee
E-mail: harrymartinpolis@yahoo.com
http://www.poet-cop.com/
ICQ # 10954537

NEWSPAPERS
This week, Jaynee writes about one of her passions.

On Sundays, Harry reads the Sunday Inquirer and I read the Sunday Newark Journal. We switch interesting articles with each other and pet whichever of our feline babies is relaxing on the newspapers. This week, I could not remember what else I had to do, so I read the paper and drank coffee. Harry stayed until the Phillies came on, but by then, he had finished the newspapers and looked over all the advertisements too.
Harry reads the Inquirer and watches the television news every day. I skip the news many days and read only the New York Times and at least some of the Inquirer. Friends tell me they cannot read the newspaper because it is so horrific. Perhaps, I distance myself from the news, or, I hope, I am a witness to the suffering of too many people. To me, the newspaper connects me with the world in more ways than just learning of genocide, murder, and totalitarianism. The parts I like best are the human-interest stories. I love reading about the dog poop machines cruising the streets of Paris and the butter sandwiches of London. If there were an international newspaper, I would take out a subscription. It would be enlightening to read not only what our government is doing, but also what the rest of the world thinks of it. I read about the Turkmen and Muslims, but as much as I appreciate the New York Times, the people’s own opinions would, I think, be different.
Reading the Newark newspapers is interesting and I like them. I wish I could read all the newspapers. People are all idiosyncratic; not just us, and our stories are fascinating. I was raised in the 1950s, when America was the best, the free-est. and always right. Of course, that was a lie and a fantasy. There are people who still cling to that idea, disregarding the facts that assault us from our own nation and abroad. Really, reading the newspapers does not bring home the reality of everyday crime or mass mutilation. Rather, the papers bring us closer to our fellow man, recognizing our commonalities and humanity shared. We all want the same thing and we are only separated by manufactured boundaries.
Just a little later, but not an article. It's been almost a year that we've lived in Delaware. I like living in this tiny state for a lot of reasons some of which are: less traffic and more enforcement of traffic laws; how close shopping is; how close everything is; and our house. Standing outside on the lawn, I feel good looking at the flowers and shrubs I've planted. I thought it would be difficult to dig holes for plants, but it was no big deal. I stand in the sunroom and look out at our rear garden and the trees, and my heart swells. People around here take these things for granted but I can't. I come from the cement of Philadelphia. I guess I'll never forget dragging myself up the cement steps in front of our old row house. They were probably the main reason I had to move. We have, I think, four steps from the ground floor to the first, and eight up to the second floor. The old house had thirteen up to the second floor and thirteen down to the basement and the tiny backyard. There were those sixteen concrete steps out front though.
This single house costs more, of course. There are repairs and paying for the lawn to be cut. One guy wouldn't even consider it; the garden was too big. It's one of the biggest in this tiny little community. (And I love it.) Our son moved close by into a similar house backing on a big park. He has snakes in addition to the regular animals who investigate trash, plants, and little warm spaces. Our son and his fiance swim in their pool and play on the computer. I think those are their hobbies. Ours are different. Mine include: computers; dogs; cats; movies; reading; sleeping; eating. Harry loves to cook; shop; read the newspaper--I love that too--and watch sports.
Autumn is looking lonely so I have to go. I understand cats are as smart as three year olds, so I'm taking this seriously. < >

Labels:

0 Comments:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home